Thursday, June 28, 2012

Wednesday, June 27th

      My first official day at theGrio.com was definitely gratifying. I pitched some good, well thought out  stories that were chosen to go on the website. The editor, Adam Howard pointed out that my selections were the type of content that the website sought. I guess being subjected to refer to the site for leads for Newsbreak at Clark Atlanta paid off in the long run. I would have never thought that I would have an internship reporting news that was relevant to black America. This subject is definitely a passion for me because I feel as if I am contributing to the voice for the urban community that is often ignored by mainstream.
      It felt good to be one of the last to leave the office because I am really trying to make good impression on the organization. I left after Adam and told the girls to leave without me because I had to complete an assignment, so much effort is given. Writing is not a strong point, so I realize that I have to work extra hard to make sure there is not any grammatical errors, misleading components, or fraudulent information.
      I noticed that when the day begins, the office is uptight with trying to meet approaching deadlines and finding unique stories before the pitch meeting at 10:45am sharp. As I stated earlier, my stories sparked the interest of other contributors and I had a chance to write web run-downs for them. I was also asked to complete extra task, which is why I left so late.
     Although, I was working on four hours of sleep, news is a passion and there really is never a dull moment and to be honest, I do not want one. Although the days feel long to others, I feel as if there is not enough time in the day. Finding an occupation in my desired career path in this media mecca and being prepared if one presents itself, has been an daily stress. The weeks are flying by and I am trying to really consume and expand the knowledge that had been presented thus far in this program. I try not to be fearful of the market and even considered starting off in a smaller market in the surrounding area to work out any extra kinks. Graduate school has also been in the forefront of my cerebral as well. I want to make time to start researching different programs that would benefit me. Prestige and diversity are just two of the key components that I am searching for when choosing an university.


No comments:

Post a Comment