Monday, June 11, 2012

The Reid Group: Day 1

What I saw today in New York City was Harlem at best! The chance to finally explore the neighborhood that is enriched with Black culture with sights such as the Apollo Theatre, street vendors and shopping centers and I quickly learned that I did not have to travel far to obtain anything (compared to Atlanta). Another observation that sparked interest was the fact that no one talked on the trains, which made me real cautious of how much my roommate and I engaged in conversation. The independence of children was also intriguing because they travel on the trains alone to go to and from school and really have free will to do what they want in this enormous city. I also observed how natives of NYC move when they are on a mission to their destination. Everyone moves in sync and knows how to maneuver throughout the street without being touched although a thousand people may be walking aside them or hit by speeding ongoing traffic.
Although today was the first day in the Big Apple, I am finding myself to learn the proper etiquettes of the city so that I don't have that "I'm lost" look when trying to get from one destination to the next. I also feel that the ladies with The Reid Group would enjoy the city more if they stopped getting spooked by the horror stories that always being associated with New York City, but just take heed to what has been taught to us and make smart decisions.
Overall, the experience is definitely a blessing and being chosen to participate in the program is a once in a lifetime opportunity and I am going to exhaust all networks that are being handed to me. I am ready to learn, enhance my skills in media and have fun!

No comments:

Post a Comment