Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day 3


       What I saw in New York City today was probably the most disturbing thing to date with this experience in the Big Apple. I was on my way to a corner store on Amsterdam Avenue when I stumbled across a "Live Poultry" market operated by hispanics. Curiosity got the best of me and I just had take a sneak peak of what was actually being sold and to my surprise it was several cages of live chickens stacked on top of each other. I understand that buying these chickens may be fresher rather purchasing them in the grocery store or local meat market, but the idea that most of these caged animals were probably born in the store and may have been eating their own feces was definitely gut-wrenching. 
I refused to walk in the store for two main reasons: I didn't want to become an vegan on the spot, which would have been the definite outcome and I did not want to start crying hysterically on the streets of Harlem. I will make it in there one day to do some investigative reporting of the techniques use to slaughter these chickens and as well as observe possible health hazards. To some, this may not be a big deal, but this is something that I am not use to seeing on a everyday basis because many slaughter houses in my hometown of Rochester are subjected to country areas, while this one was in the local neighborhood. It was very fascinating and despairing at the same time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment