Monday, June 18, 2012

Day: 8...Inside My Story!


        Producing the segment for the Tom Joyner Morning Show has to be the most stressful task I have endured thus far. I have to admit that if I was not blessed with my partner, Ms Reid would be pissed with me. I came to the realization that I have to really work on pitching stories and doing proper research to get the "real story". I am serious about producing, so this skill needs to be mastered. I expressed these issues with Ms. Reid and I am appreciative that I recognized it this early and know myself well enough address this. 
Four of us met Ms. Reid and CAU adjunct, Professor Jennifer Thomas, for an intimate lunch in SOHO. I was excited to go to that area of NYC because I have never experienced it and was always eager travel there. It helped to be in smaller group because we were all on one-accord and finding the restaurant was a breeze. Professor Thomas greeted us with a joyful welcome and was able to answer questions that concerned us pertaining to graduate school and balancing careers. After lunch, we went to the Betsey Johnson clothing store, which are all closing and were having a discontinuation sale on all items, including furniture. I would have gotten some "bad" shoes for $45 but they didn't have my size, which is always a bad case for us women. 
Having to rush home, confirm guest, obtain official statements from attorney's  within an hour before an 6:30pm workshop had my partner and I pulling out patches of hair (well locks in my case). Meeting Ms. Allison Samuels was worth it for two reasons: one she is a CAU alumnae; and two she gave such insight on First Lady Michelle Obama and more knowledge being a great woman and of course the subject of creditable journalism. 
One mental note that stuck out with all the guest that we have encountered thus far is that they have all stated that this industry is minority deprived and to me that's a harsh pill to swallow because I am a double minority:  black and a women with morality.  

No comments:

Post a Comment